We will drive early in the morning from El Chaltén to Lago Del Desierto , located at 38 km (24 miles) distance.
From the parking lot we´ll approach to the base of the Huemul glacier ( about 1 h) and we´ll continue the ascent on the glacier using crampons or snowshoes towards the summit (2146 meters or 7040 feet).
It will take us about 6 to 7 hours to get to the top; but he views are worth it! After a good break, we´ll start the descent the same way back; it will take another two hours for the descent back to the car. We will drive back to El Chaltén in the afternoon.
• Waterproof trekking boots (*)
• 30L dayack
• Walking poles
• sun-block and lip balm
• pocket knife
• water bottle (1l)
• trekking pants
• Sweater (medium weight)
• Insulated hooded jacket(down or or synthetic)
• Waterproof pants & parka (gore-tex)
• Fleece jacket or wind stopper
• Windstopper and waterproof gloves (plus spares)
• Sun cap & wool or fleece hat
• Buff, or balaclava